Tuesday, July 14, 2009

New Obsession

Picking up a new hobby while pregnant is dangerous. My brain becomes much more obsessive (I've been dreaming about it), and there are suddenly tons of things I'd love to do "before the baby comes". My latest obsession is sewing. I have wanted to learn to sew for a while, but didn't actually start until a couple of months ago. It all began because I wanted to do cloth diapers with the baby. We can't afford disposables, plus I believe cloth is better for the baby and the environment. The major problem is that there can be a fairly large start-up cost with cloth diapers. My cloth-diapering friends some how convinced me, the sewing dummy, that I could make my own. I have been working on newborn diapers since the end of May. I'm finally finishing them up this week. More on this topic later.

Anyhow, I needed to feel like I was accomplishing something. I needed a completed project. While at JoAnn Fabrics, I came across a bolt of material that was already shirred on the top, and had a fair amount of length underneath that. Super Girl thought it was cute, and asked me to make a shirt for her out of it. Since it was on sale for $1.50 a yard, I thought, "Why not?" I spent at least an hour on Father's Day, "whipping up" this shirt. It took longer than I expected, considering all I had to do was sew it together down one side and make straps. It turned out really well, though - if I do say so myself.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

good job...I didnt know material came that way.

Ashley said...

It turned out great! Yes....sewing is SO addictive. That is awesome that you have been picking it up though! It just gets easier and easier right?! I wanted to let you know that I just updated my blog posting with that fabric information! There are a few places still out there selling it. You don't need much!

http://lilblueboo.blogspot.com/2009/07/cupcake-applique-shirt-and-matching.html

Have a great day!

Ashley

Toni said...

what a cute top, I too have been wanting to learn to sew, I have a machine I have had for years, and I think its time to learn to use it:-)

Congrats on the coming arrival babies are very exciting:-)

Lisa said...

You should totally enter the cloth diapers you have made into a contest I am hosting: www.cloth-diapers-made-easy.com/making-cloth-diapers.html.. you could win some great prizes! Looking forward to seeing how they turned out! :)