Wednesday, November 14, 2012

TOS Review: Growing Up Wild



As part of the Schoolhouse Review Crew, I recently received a couple of DVDs from Growing Up Wild.  The Wild family is serving as missionaries in Papua, Indonesia.  They have four boys, and live in the jungle with the Wano people.  My children were very interested in the videos, as the older two boys seem to be about their age, and also because we have watched and enjoyed documentary series about indigenous peoples in Papua in the past.

The first DVD includes segments about the Wilds' house in the jungle and the houses of the Wano, a supply trip, and how the family uses the sun and water to provide a little bit of first-world comfort to their jungle home.  The segments mainly feature the boys and the Wano people, but are narrated by the parents.  My kids loved seeing the house the Wilds live in - especially the lego room!  I found myself wondering if I would get used to how open to the elements their house is, if I were to live in it.  I'm sure I would, but it would take some getting used to!


The other DVD we received was Volume 4, which features segments about the wildlife in the region, some aspects of Wano culture, and more about missionaries in general.  I think we were all a little surprised when the mom was talking about the older two boys' desire to have their noses pierced like the Wano children - and then they did it!  Granted, the mom made sure the boys really wanted to do it (she made them wait a year!), and it appears that several of the male missionaries have also done it.  However, I don't think any of us felt like we'd be able to do it ourselves!

The purpose of Growing Up Wild and desire of the Wild family is to "encourage children to impact the world for God's glory" - to spark a passion for reaching the people of the world in the next generation.  I love the way that the Wilds have tied these glimpses of their everyday life as missionaries into lessons that encourage children to really think about the world around them with a Biblical view.  There is an activity guide disc included with each volume, and each segment has a corresponding overview, set of scripture references, and activities suggested to really get more than just entertainment out of the videos.  My favorite part of the videos was the "at the end of the day" moment that wraps up each segment with a short devotional thought that ties the adventures from that segment in to a spiritual application.  

Growing Up Wild separately for $18.99, or you can purchase the whole set for $80.99.  I feel like these videos are worth the price - the videos are good quality, and children as well as adults will have their interest captured by this family of "wild" boys!


Photobucket

***Disclaimer:  I received two volumes of Growing Up Wild in exchange for my review through the Schoolhouse Review Crew.  All opinions are my own. 

No comments: