Monday, November 12, 2012

TOS Review: Your Child's Profession of Faith


The Schoolhouse Review Crew was given the opportunity to review works from Grace & Truth Books.  Given my choice of 10 titles, I chose Your Child's Profession of Faith.  You see, Super Girl has always had a great faith in and love for God.  On several occasions she has told us that she prayed "the sinner's prayer".  She has a strong relationship with Christ.  However, last summer, she asked me how she could be sure she is saved.  I had some heart-felt discussions with her, and I think I helped set her mind at ease.  However, I hoped this book would help, should the question arise again - whether from her, or another child.


Your Child's Profession of Faith is a good book, and one I will keep on my shelf.  However, it was not quite what I was hoping for.  I was looking for something that would help be a help in counseling children who are questioning the solidity of their faith.  Chapter 7, "The Manifestations of Faith", will definitely help with that.  However, most of the book before that has to do with the nature of children - "intellectual immaturity", "changeableness", and gullibility.  The book does stress the importance of cultivating a child's strong relationship with Christ over time, rather than the quick conversions that are sought in many childrens' ministry settings.  However, I felt that this section, as well as all the parts about making sure your child is truly ready to be baptized, were not what I was looking for.  The particular church I belong to does not teach that baptism is necessary for salvation, and therefore we do not normally practice it, which means those passages just don't apply to my situation.



I feel like Your Child's Profession of Faith is more a book for the parent who questions the validity of their child's faith, rather than the parent of a questioning child.  It is good, Bible-based advice, and straight-forward.  It wasn't quite what I was looking for, but still an excellent reminder to be careful with my childrens hearts, because "if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea" (Matthew 18:6).



Your Child's Profession of Faith is available from Grace & Truth Books.  The price is $7.50 for a soft-cover edition, 119 pages.


Photobucket

***Disclaimer:  I received a copy of Your Child's Profession of Faith in exchange for my review through The Schoolhouse Review Crew.  All opinions are my own.

No comments: