Since I can never seem to make a recipe the way it's written, here are my alterations:
- We seem to have a plethora of ground turkey in the deep freeze, so I chose to use that instead of chicken.
- My mom's cilantro has gone to seed, and the grocery store was out of fresh cilantro, so I used dried, and just guessed the amount.
- I used some sort of red spring onion, which I chopped, since that was what I had on hand.
- I used Bragg's Liquid Aminos instead of soy sauce. I will probably start out with a little less than the amount called for next time, as it was really salty the first time I tasted the sauce, causing me to add more honey.
- I used honey instead of sugar.
- We didn't have any peanuts, so I didn't use any for garnish.
- I didn't put 1/2 the sauce on the meatballs, as the recipe instructed, as my mom had stated that she doesn't care for peanut sauce. I served it on the side instead.
- I also added some garlic to the sauce, as I felt like it needed it, and cooked it on very low on the stove top, rather than microwaving it.
**This post contains affiliate links.
Photo credit: Kate Sears