Monday, December 19, 2011

TOS Review: Vintage Remedies For Kids

I first heard of Vintage Remedies a year ago, when a friend of mine excitedly showed me some of the new materials she had recently gotten for homeschooling.  She had several books, all written by Jessie Hawkins, founder of Vintage Remedies.  One of those books was Vintage Remedies For Kids, which she planned to use as a health curriculum for her children.  Imagine my delight when one of the items I was asked to review through The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew was this very same book!



I have enjoyed going through this book very much.  Each chapter has a couple of instructional sections for parents, a "Read to Me" section for children, discussion questions, and several hands-on projects to reinforce what the child has learned.  While it is geared toward ages 2-6, I feel that it is a little advanced still as a whole for Little Miss, who is almost 2 1/2.  She enjoyed the activities I did with her based on the second chapter, "Natural Candy - Fruit", but I felt the "Read to Me" section was a bit too much for her.  I feel like, as it is written, that it is better suited toward ages 4 and up.  In my experience with children, the lessons need quite a bit of simplifying in order to be used in their entirety with children any younger.  However, I do feel that parents of 2 and 3 year olds can use this material to guide conversations with their little ones while doing some of the suggested activities.  Most of the hands-on projects are things that little ones can easily participate in and would absolutely love doing.  This is one book I really look forward to digging into in a year or so, when Little Miss is a bit older.


Vintage Remedies began as a distance-learning program for those interested in holistic medicine.  They have several different levels of instruction available - I am very interested in the Family Herbalist course.  They also have books for the homemaker and older children, as well as essential oil blends for sale.  Vintage Remedies For Kids is available for the price of $25 at www.vintageremedies.com.  I look forward to trying out the book for older kids, which includes recipes for natural skin care, among other things!


***Note:  I received a copy of Vintage Remedies For Kids in exchange for my review through TOS Homeschool Crew.  All opinions are my own.

No comments: