Wednesday, August 22, 2012

TOS Crew: I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist

I am excited about the latest review item I have in my possession.  Apologia was kind enough to send out a copy of I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist, along with a copy of their accompanying curriculum workbook.  My children have done Bible knowledge lessons since we started homeschooling, but we have not done a topical study together.  I think that 7th grade is a great age to introduce them to one - especially one designed to help them understand why we believe what we believe, and how that compares to the rest of the world.

There are basically 19 lessons in the workbook.  We are just starting out, because we are just starting our school year and I really wanted this to be a formal part of it.  I had plans to start earlier this month, but a few events altered those plans.  This is a Bible study the kids and I do together - we read through the selected passage from I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist, then go through the lesson in the workbook.  I don't have the kids read the book on their own, though if they were older, I'd assign the selection to them then have a discussion time.  


I really like how the lessons are divided.  There are four main sections to each one.  I love, love, love that one of those sections has the student research for themselves the points discussed in I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist.  Another section helps the student see how the things they're learning apply to their life and faith.  This study really has my children beginning to understand the why behind what they already strongly believe.  A child-like faith is awesome, but as my children begin to move into a more grown-up world, I want them to have more of a defense for their faith than just, "Because the Bible says so."  



One of the other features I like about this curriculum are the biographies of historical figures.  I couldn't find a list of these biographies, but there are two in each chapter.  Examples of some of these biographies are Carl Sagan, C. S. Lewis, Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, and Friedrich Nietzsche.  I think it's really important to teach my children not only about the accomplishments of people in the past, but also what they believed, since that is usually the driving force behind great accomplishments.

I am eager to finish this study - not because I want to get it over with, but because I want to see what all three of us have learned by the end.  I'm full of anticipation over how my children will have grown through this course!

I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist and the companion curriculum can be purchased through Apologia.  The book sells for $16, and the workbook is $33.  

Photobucket

***Disclaimer:  I received a copy of these two books from Apologia in exchange for my review through the Schoolhouse Review Crew.  All opinions are my own.

No comments: